EDITION SIZE 200
50 ARTIST’S PROOFS
50 CONSERVATION EDITION
FRAME SIZE 18X21
PRINTED ON ACID FREE PAPER
Galloo Island Light was the first lighthouse established on lake Ontario. It was first erected in 1820. The present lighthouse was erected on the same spot in 1867. Until 1940, it was manned by hired keepers. Then that year, the U. S. Coast Guard took over, and manned it through 1963, when it was automated.
The limestone tower is 55 feet high with an attached one and a half story dwelling. To the left of the lighthouse is the building that originally housed the steam powered foghorn. In bad weather, that horn could be heard over 15 miles away.
In 1963, when the lighthouse was automated, it was added to the National register of Historic Places.
This alkyd painting was commissioned by St. Lawrence Explosives for their 2002 calendar.